Page 2 of The Queen

General Forum

RE: The Queen

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Friday, 9th September 2022, 07:43

Cartoonists regularly nail a situation better the any black clad serious newscaster.

Snaps

My new Flash Fiction blog. All my own work
500ish

I am not young enough to know everything.

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Friday, 9th September 2022, 21:18

I think she had a good enough sense of humour to appreciate this.

Snaps

500ish

Pete-MK (Elite Donator) posted this on Saturday, 10th September 2022, 18:10

Funeral to be held on the 19th, which will be a Bank Holiday for us brits

============================
Writer`s Release

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Monday, 12th September 2022, 07:42

Feeling quite like this.

Snaps

500ish

Liked by: alfie noakes

Pete-MK (Elite Donator) posted this on Wednesday, 14th September 2022, 18:30

Saw some of the procession earlier. Quite bizarre I was a literal stone's throw from Westminster hall last Tuesday. What a difference a week makes.

The BBC has a continual live stream of the Queen lying in state. Quite moving to see the obvious emotion from those who've taken time to pay their respects. For most this may be the only way to see Westminster hall as estimates are at around the 30 hour mark if you join the queue now.

Some of the other streams (ITV/SKY) can be backtracked to the procession.

Writer`s Release

Liked by: marksparks999

admars (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 14th September 2022, 20:37

I'll be honest, I don't really "get" it. The old lady passed away recently who lived next door, I was a bit sad, but she was old. I understand the new king getting annoyed when there's a pen malfunction, while he's grieving. It's a once in a lifetime thing, but I dunno, when an actor or singer or celebrity dies, I feel sad for a bit, then forget about it and move on.

I really don't understand how the Queen was so important to people, or do they just feel they should pay respects? On the news on the radio they were talking to some ppl in armed forces, or ex armed forces, some of what they said made sense, serving "The Boss" and country.

I don't think I'm the only one a bit confused by it all...

https://twitter.com/curiousiguana/status/1570067806028464128

Quote:
Right, everyone. I need to be serious for a moment. Because the greatest thing that ever happened is happening right now. I don't particularly care either way about the Queen. But the queue? The Queue is a triumph of Britishness. It's incredible.

Just to be clear: I don't mean the purpose of the queue. I don't mean the outpouring of emotion or collective gried or the event at the end and around the queue or the people in the queue. I mean, literally, the queue. The queue itself. It's like something from Douglas Adams.

This item was edited on Wednesday, 14th September 2022, 20:38

Liked by: RJS

Jitendar Canth (Reviewer) posted this on Wednesday, 14th September 2022, 21:53

So my mum has been pretty much glued to the TV for the last few days, taking in the 'historic' events as the BBC keeps on reminding us. Technically, everything is historic once it happens. I had a historic lunch this afternoon... but I digress.

The royal family are slow-mo pursuing the coffin from Buck palace to Westminister Hall, and at one point the teeming masses start applauding, at which point my mum just can't understand.

This evening, she's complaining to me,asking just what is wrong with people. The Queen died, we're in the middle of a two week long funeral, and people start clapping. Tears and lament she can understand, but not applause. And quite honestly, I don't know what to tell her. Other than some kind of mass hysteria.

===========================
Jitendar Canth

Quote:
"I thought what I`d do was, I`d pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

Site Reviewer at DVD Reviewer & MyReviewer

Carving out a niche with a pneumatic drill at Anime @ MyReviewer.com

Liked by: RJS

RJS (undefined) posted this on Thursday, 15th September 2022, 07:39

I do not understand the grief at all, but it's clearly there. I am also briefly sad when an artist who has been part of my life dies, but mostly it's because I will never get to see them perform again, or create new work for me to enjoy.

Maybe all these people are huge fans of the Queen's work.

Editor
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 15th September 2022, 07:58

Quote:
RJS says...
"Maybe all these people are huge fans of the Queen's work."

It must be something to be prepared to not just stand but continually shuffle forward for hours on end to just look at a box and have barely enough time to stop and bow your head or cross yourself.

I'm on the don't get it list.

I would advise watching the live feed for at least a few minutes though. As a window on your fellow human's attitude to her death. I did it just gone two this morning, seems different somehow in the middle of the night when the majority of those there would have been in bed hours before.

Snaps

500ish

Pete-MK (Elite Donator) posted this on Thursday, 15th September 2022, 09:37

As of now, First afternoon after Lying in state begun, the queue is currently between Tower bridge & HMS Belfast

Writer`s Release

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads