last post by Jitendar Canth

Page 3 of The Russia Report

General Forum

RE: The Russia Report

Si Wooldridge (Reviewer) posted this on Friday, 24th July 2020, 19:00

Quote:
Robee J Shepherd says...
"Also... these are isolated cases.

You can cherry pick examples and declare them as representative, but that doesn't mean they are anything more than individual examples which are not representative."

For now...

Also, how many people have lost their jobs due to Twitter outrage? 

How many people have been doxxed or have had their employers contacted to cancel their employment? 

How many people have been reported to the police for comments made on social media?

There are some people who are non cancellable, such as JK Rowling, but they are few and far between.

It is not isolated by any means...

---------

Si Wooldridge
Reviewer

http://synth.myreviewer.com

Robee J Shepherd (undefined) posted this on Friday, 24th July 2020, 20:07

Quote:
Si Wooldridge says...
"Also, how many people have lost their jobs due to Twitter outrage?

How many people have been doxxed or have had their employers contacted to cancel their employment?

How many people have been reported to the police for comments made on social media?"

The one thing I know for sure is neither of us have any idea, there is no data for this. And one of us is using isolated examples that prove it happens, as proof it is happening in huge numbers, without any evidence it is. Which, when certain media outlets are amplifying any example they can to fit their narrative, doesn't surprise me.

Quote:
Viewtiful Mark says...
"My fear at the moment is who controls discourse, and when you peer down the rabbit hole it's very worrying. You can't deny that people have been getting de-platformed for years in Uni's and now it's happening on Twitter, YouTube etc.

Channels getting taken down just because they aren't towing the line. The very idea of de-platforming people in Uni's is amazing to me. You don't like what they say, well turn up and engage in the discussion. Don't just shove your fingers in your ears. These are supposed to be the places where the brightest minds engage in debate for God's sake."

I don't deny it, but this is the whole problem with freedom of speech, a lot of people do not understand what it even means. It's the freedom to say things, there is also a freedom to not listen to it.

A majority of people under a certain age have decided some things are no longer up for debate, and a bunch of people above that age are whining that they aren't being listened to, and those whiners are getting lots of opportunities to air their opinions.

As a society we have decided it is no longer up for debate that women should get the vote, that gay people should marry, that conversion therapy (although the current government seems to disagree) should be banned, amongst other things.

These are things which were debates that had no right to be debates. I'm pretty sure the things people are being de-platformed for now will be seen the same by all but the old farts who miss being able to treat some sections of society as less than a human being.

Editor
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

Si Wooldridge (Reviewer) posted this on Friday, 24th July 2020, 20:22

Quote:
Robee J Shepherd says...
"And one of us is using isolated examples that prove it happens, as proof it is happening in huge numbers, without any evidence it is. "

Define huge.

---------

Si Wooldridge
Reviewer

Viewtiful Mark (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 25th July 2020, 09:11

Quote:
Robee J Shepherd says...
"As a society we have decided it is no longer up for debate that women should get the vote, that gay people should marry, that conversion therapy (although the current government seems to disagree) should be banned, amongst other things.

These are things which were debates that had no right to be debates. I'm pretty sure the things people are being de-platformed for now will be seen the same by all but the old farts who miss being able to treat some sections of society as less than a human being."

There are a lot of people, whom in trying to remain above the debate and keep what they feel is a clear head, feel this way. I get it.

Please don't take me the wrong way, but it's wrong sadly, and misses the nuance and detail in what is actually happening. It simplifies and compartmentalises it neatly, but it's not the truth.

Liked by: Si Wooldridge

Si Wooldridge (Reviewer) posted this on Saturday, 25th July 2020, 09:25

Quote:
Viewtiful Mark says...
" It simplifies and compartmentalises it neatly, but it's not the truth."

And this is the problem as it's more complex than is being described, the nuance is missing...as usual.

---------

Si Wooldridge
Reviewer

Thanks from: Viewtiful Mark

Robee J Shepherd (undefined) posted this on Saturday, 25th July 2020, 09:31

Quote:
Viewtiful Mark says...
"Please don't take me the wrong way, but it's wrong sadly, and misses the nuance and detail in what is actually happening. It simplifies and compartmentalises it neatly, but it's not the truth."

And please don't take this the wrong way, this isn't a new thing, it's been happening for ever. The only difference is now we are the older generation, so we are noticing it.

And those of us that are still complaining about some things no longer being "open for debate" in 20 years will be the bigoted grandparents our grandchildren joke about and are embarrassed to be around at Christmas.

Meanwhile grime artist Wiley is happily spouting off on Twitter against how evil Jews are and not getting banned. But he shouldn't be cancelled should he.

Editor
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

Viewtiful Mark (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 25th July 2020, 09:38

Quote:
Robee J Shepherd says...
"And please don't take this the wrong way, this isn't a new thing, it's been happening for ever."

It has Robee, but not like this.

Thanks for replying. Always found you guys here to be the nicest bunch on the net, and I wouldn't want to say something that outright p***es you all off.

Liked by: Si Wooldridge
Thanks from: Si Wooldridge

Si Wooldridge (Reviewer) posted this on Saturday, 25th July 2020, 10:51

Quote:
Robee J Shepherd says...
"Meanwhile grime artist Wiley is happily spouting off on Twitter against how evil Jews are and not getting banned. But he shouldn't be cancelled should he."

No, he shouldn't.

I'm sick of people being hounded out of jobs and careers for something they have said or believed.

Condemn and argue with them all you like, but don't get them sacked.  

---------

Si Wooldridge
Reviewer

Si Wooldridge (Reviewer) posted this on Saturday, 25th July 2020, 10:52

Quote:
Robee J Shepherd says...
"It's the freedom to say things, there is also a freedom to not listen to it."

That freedom not to listen is not a freedom to silence others, that is what has been forgotten.

---------

Si Wooldridge
Reviewer

Jitendar Canth (Reviewer) posted this on Saturday, 25th July 2020, 11:29

The freedom to fire racist people for being racist cannot be overrated.

===========================
Jitendar Canth

Quote:
"I thought what I`d do was, I`d pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

Site Reviewer at DVD Reviewer & MyReviewer

Carving out a niche with a pneumatic drill at Anime @ MyReviewer.com

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads