Page 90 of Brexit

General Forum

RE: [VIDEO] Brexit

Robee J Shepherd (undefined) posted this on Thursday, 1st August 2019, 19:05

Quote:
Si Wooldridge says...
"The money we get back in subsidies is our money and we have no say in how that is spent"

No say is not true, it's a democratic decision by the members of the EU. We are part of the EU, so we get a certain amount of say. You can be unhappy with the level of say we have, but you can't say it's no say at all and be correct. We have some say, and actually we get our way an awful lot of the time.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-uk-influence/

Quote:
Si Wooldridge says...
"Trade benefits, fine, I'll give you that but that may not necessarily end if we leave the EU as the plan is not to stop trading with the EU27, which some people bizarrely seem to think is the case"

I'm not sure any sensible remainer is saying that, we are just saying that the EU is not going to give us a free trade agreement as good as the one we have now, so goods we export from the UK (our biggest trading partner) will become more expensive and less competitive.

If the EU gives us the same deal as being in the EU, there would be no benefit in being in the EU so other countries would leave. It's not in their interests to do it, and this deal has to be agreed by the majority of countries in the EU.

And then there is the trade deals with non-EU countries, which are currently covered by trade negotiations carried out by the EU, a large collection of countries with a lot stronger bargaining power than one on it's own.

It could be possible to get the same agreement with these new trading partners, but again there is far less incentive for large ones like the US and China to give us the same deal. Further more, the longer we have no deal, the weaker our bargaining position becomes because the weaker our economy has become trading under poorer conditions. So it's actually in their interests to take their time and get a deal which suits them more than it does us.

Editor
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

Liked by: JamesW

bandicoot (Elite) posted this on Friday, 2nd August 2019, 07:30

Boris Johnson warned over approach to securing Brexit with EU - ‘He’s frightening them'
Boris Johnson doesn’t want backstop solution claims Powell

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1160354/bbc-newsnight-latest-brexit-news-boris-johnson-no-deal-northern-ireland-good-friday

This item was edited on Friday, 2nd August 2019, 07:36

Robee J Shepherd (undefined) posted this on Friday, 2nd August 2019, 08:01

I prefer more recent events... like Boris Johnson loses by-election already, to party that is pro-remain, in a constituency that voted for brexit in the referendum.

Editor
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Friday, 2nd August 2019, 09:14

Now a majority of one.
Next rat to leave the ship will be...?

EDIT:
If. like me, the whole Irish border question leaves you scratching your head this may help but I don't think it's going to cheer you up.

Snaps

My new Flash Fiction blog. All my own work
500ish

I am not young enough to know everything.

This item was edited on Friday, 2nd August 2019, 10:39

Liked by: JamesW

bandicoot (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 4th August 2019, 08:42

"Europeans have started to change their minds on BrexitBoris’s focus on the backstop has shifted public opinion"
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/europeans-have-started-to-change-their-minds-on-brexit/

Robee J Shepherd (undefined) posted this on Sunday, 4th August 2019, 11:38

"The Spectator, strong supporter of the US and Israel, and long time hater of the EU, prints piece with no evidence favouring former editor Boris Johnson"

Editor
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

Liked by: Snaps

bandicoot (Elite) posted this on Sunday, 4th August 2019, 13:04

Quote:
rob says...."The Spectator, strong supporter of the US and Israel, and long time hater of the EU, prints piece with no evidence favouring former editor Boris Johnson"

There is no pleasing some folk, do you want extracts from 'The Beano' instead 

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Monday, 5th August 2019, 01:24

Most of the cabinet have been extracted from The Beano.
Lord Snooty being the most obvious.

Snaps

500ish

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Monday, 5th August 2019, 13:28

Just googled the characters and whilst he's not cabinet I did happen on Mark Francois.

Snaps

500ish

Pete-MK (Elite Donator) posted this on Tuesday, 6th August 2019, 12:53

Michael Gove  is either just really forgetful, or he hasn't been paying attention the hundreds of times the EU have said that the withdrawal agreement, as it stands, won't be negotiated further.

Quote:
Mr Gove... said he was "deeply saddened" that Brussels was, in his words, saying "no, we don't want to talk."
Which is what they've been saying for quite some time. Apart from a new belligerently optimistic pleb in charge, not a lot has changed, so I fail to see why the EU should change their stance.

We have no power or say in this any more, not that we ever did. Article 50 did, and always has put the ultimate yes or no in the hands of Brussels, and no matter how much Boris raises his fists and blurts out the tired old 'get behind Britain' bollocks, that holds no water in the seats of power.

============================
Writer`s Release

Liked by: mbilko

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads