Page 1 of Amazing negative mass fluid

General Forum

Amazing negative mass fluid

bandicoot (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 18:11

This is Science fiction coming alive, and breaks the conventions of Newtons physics, where if you push an object it accelerates away from you.

In this case this fluid made by American scientists,  if you push it and it accelerates towards you.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/apr/19/scientists-have-created-a-fluid-with-negative-mass-but-what-does-it-tell-us

This reminds of a book of short SF stories I read years ago, called 'the inertia box', where a small box full of 'who knows what' could dampen inertia, and had large implications of use in society.

One example was a car crash, where the box located in the car soaked up all the crash inertia during the crash, and the occupants walked out unharmed.

The box would then later be 'relieved' in an empty field, and go nuts flying about, dispersing all that energy.

So maybe the above fluid is just the start of new wonders, as I do like to see inventions being used for good rather than for evil 

This item was edited on Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 18:12

RE: Amazing negative mass fluid

alfie noakes (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 18:34

FAKE NEWS!

bandicoot (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 19:57

Well F me dead mate.

Did not see that coming.

Are you sure it fake news?

alfie noakes (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 21:06

Sorry, just 'faux overreacting'. It's real.

It's a bit esoteric because the effect they are talking about is at a tiny, tiny level under highly controlled conditions and it's barely observable.

It's maybe a good headline but I doubt we'll be getting any anti-gravity hover cars out of it!

Rob Shepherd (Super Admin) posted this on Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 21:34

Quote:
alfie noakes says...
"It's maybe a good headline but I doubt we'll be getting any anti-gravity hover cars out of it!"

Aye, scaling up is always the problem. :/ Well nearly, sometimes it's scaling down.

People tend to assume that because technology seems to get smaller and smaller whilst being more and more powerful each year, every piece of technology can be made smaller. And the opposite for anything relating to physics.

So many kickstarters show the opposite, time after time. Solar Roadways is a good example.

Editor
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

bandicoot (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 20th April 2017, 03:06

Scaling up!

Well look at cash machines in walls, they first started out as a crematic piggy bank in your bedroom.

Nothing has changed though, as my wife still wants to smash both open to get to my money 😀

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads