Page 1 of Cryptic Dog Breed Quiz
OK, who wants to put their thinking caps on? I`m trying to do this quiz inmy Parish Magazine - there`s no prize, so this isn`t cheating. It`s just for fun.
I`ve done 13 out of the 20 clues, although they may not all be right!
But here are the rest - can anyone get any more answers? Some are just cryptic, some are anagrams, but you don`t get told, so you have to work it out...
1) Stone memorial for this little dog
2) Fine noise on the hill
3) Don`t push me
4) Two boys end in a whisper
5)16th + a lot
6) sheltered side of Big Mac perhaps
7) A piece of equipment gains full marks
Come on, I know some of you lot are very intelligent!
I know nothing about dogs, but 3 isn`t that a famous Rambo quote, if that helps?
If Number 1 relates to Greyfriars Bobby, then it would have to be Skye Terrier, as all the answers are actual breeds of dog. Interesting thought, but I`m not sure as they haven`t related to fictional characters or individual dogs so far.
And no, thanks, I don`t think "Don`t push me" being a quote from Rambo is actually relevant. Interesting, but not relevant...
Keep the thoughts coming, anyway.
This item was edited on Friday, 11th March 2011, 11:17
dont push me has `hound` in it, as an anagram, but spem hound?
Can`t make anything work with those four letters E,M,P,S...does your head in, doesn`t it!
Edit: If it helps, here`s what I have so far (willing to accept they`re not all correct! lol)
1) Foreign Protector = German Shepherd
2) Beat up a dear one = Pug (not sure about this one but one definition of pug is "a dear one" and they look like they`ve been beaten up...)
3) Hugely inflexible = mastiff
4) This terrier breezes through the valley = Airedale
5) Latest discover of estate = Newfoundland
6) Shred a Norwegian = Golden Labrador
7) Munch munch = Chow Chow
8) So has a pal = Lhasa Apso
9) Shine for bic = Bichon Frise
10) Shining knight could be our ruler = Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
11) 50 years brings it all back = Golden Retriever
12) Mixed up black and white badger = Greyhound
13) One of two in a ring = Boxer
So you see, I have been busy with these, but I`m really struggling now!
This item was edited on Friday, 11th March 2011, 12:04
This item was edited on Friday, 11th March 2011, 21:34
going back to my Rambo idea, the quote may be First Blood, rather than Rambo, so combine that with whoot`s idea, and you have Blood Hound :)
Haste - how did you get Cairn terrier? I can see Leonberger is right - I kept playing with the word Lee but didn`t know any dog breeds with that in them.
Edit: I understand Cairn terrier now, thanks - Cairn = a mound of stones laid as a memorial. Thank you!
This item was edited on Saturday, 12th March 2011, 09:33