Running Time: 116 Minutes
Release Date: 16/10/2017
Content Type: Movie
One of the most spectacular and action packed epics of the fifties, Richard Fleischer’s The Vikings wowed audiences worldwide with its stunning visuals, brutal action and star studded cast.
Prince Einar (Kirk Douglas, Paths of Glory, Ace in the Hole) is the son and heir of a savage Viking chieftain (Ernest Borgnine, Violent Saturday, The Wild Bunch). Prince Eric (Tony Curtis, Some Like it Hot) is his unknowing half-brother, the bastard offspring of Einar’s father and an English queen. When the Vikings kidnap the princess Morgana (Janet Leigh, Psycho), her beauty inflames the desires of both men, forcing a bloody duel that decides their fate… and the future of the English throne.
Filmed in vivid Technicolor by the legendary Jack Cardiff (The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus) and narrated by Orson Welles, The Vikings spawned a whole sub-genre of imitators, (Mario Bava alone helmed Erik The Conqueror, The Last of the Vikings and Knives of the Avenger in the years following the film’s release) but none quite topped the glorious spectacle from one of America’s greatest directors of genre cinema, Richard Fleischer. Eureka Classics is proud to present the film for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK.
• Reversible Sleeve
• Gorgeous 1080p presentation
• Original stereo PCM soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Exclusive new video interview with film historian Sheldon Hall
• A Tale of Norway (28 mins) – A featurette about the making of the film, presented by director Richard Fleischer
• Original theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring the words of Richard Fleischer; a poster gallery and rare archival imagery
OAR 2.35:1 Colour
English Uncompressed Mono
ENGLISH SDH (Optional)
Calder Willingham ... (screenplay)
Dale Wasserman ... (adaptation)
Edison Marshall ... (novel)
Director of Photography: