Westfront 1918 & Kameradscahft (Two films by G.W. Pabst)
Running Time: 90/96 mins
Retail Price: £24.99
Release Date: 24/07/2017
Content Type: Movie
Georg Wilhelm Pabst (Pandora’s Box, Diary of a Lost Girl) made a flawless transition from silent to sound filmmaking with, Westfront 1918 and Kameradschaft, a pair of strongly anti-war titles (Pabst himself was a prisoner of war for the duration of WWI) that combined elements of Expressionism and New Objectivity to stunning effect.
In Westfront 1918, four infantrymen on the Western Front suffer the everyday hardships and insanity of trench warfare, and in Kameradschaft, a team of German miners risk their lives to rescue a team of French miners left trapped after an underground explosion.
Sharing many thematic elements, as well as key cast and crew (most notably cinematographer Fritz Arno Wagner, M, Nosferatu, Der müde Tod), Westfront 1918 and Kameradschaft represents a master director at the height of his powers, and The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present both these titles for the first time ever on Blu-ray in a special Dual Format edition.
• Limited Edition O-card [First 2000 copies]
• Both films presented on Blu-ray in stunning 1080p
• Uncompressed PCM soundtrack for both titles (on the Blu-ray)
• Optional English subtitles for both titles
• Alternate subtitle options of Kameradschaft authentic to the film’s original presentation in both France and Germany
• Westfront 1918, an introduction by film scholar and author Jan-Christopher Horak
• Kameradschaft, an introduction by film scholar and author Jan-Christopher Horak
• PLUS: A 44 booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp, alongside rare archival imagery
1.20:1 Black and White
German PCM Uncompressed
Georg Wilhelm Pabst
Ernst Johannsen (novel)Ladislaus Vajda (screenplay)
Director of Photography:
Fritz Arno Wagner
Eureka! The Masters of Cinema