Plastic, another pleasant surprise!
last post by Jimbo :oÞ
build a £300 gaming pc?
last post by Viewtiful Mark

Page 1 of 15pin VGA to SVHS or Scart converters

PCs & Mobiles Forum

15pin VGA to SVHS or Scart converters

washu (Competent) posted this on Sunday, 3rd October 2004, 09:35

I think these exist and was wondering how much one would set me back. Not all laptops have the SVHS out sockets (like mine). I have heard stories of them being rather expensive.

RE: 15pin VGA to SVHS or Scart converters

Miles (Elite Donator) posted this on Sunday, 3rd October 2004, 22:28

I got an SVGA -> S-Video converter from Maplins for £50. Works fairly well, picture isn`t fantastic, but that`s more due to the TV than anything else.

Can`t find a link at the moment though...sorry!

HTH
Miles

"42"

washu (Competent) posted this on Monday, 4th October 2004, 04:20

SVGA is the same as the 15pin VGA from a PC then? Monitor type connection.

Jon_C (Elite) posted this on Monday, 4th October 2004, 09:56

It`s nothing to do with your TV. I tried to set up connections like this a few weeks ago and tried both routes - the adaptor you mentioned and then a graphics card with TV-out. Both gave appalling picture quality (very blurry text etc), no matter what resolution settings I chose.

I know the TV wasn`t the problem because I tried it on my LCD which has both VGA and S-video inputs. The quality was perfect when viewing the PC desktop using the normal VGA connection and terrible when using the other methods. I think the best you can hope for is `just OK` quality for watching DVDs using your PC`s disc drive and your normal TV - unless anyone can suggest a better quality adaptor, maybe at more than £50.

Miles (Elite Donator) posted this on Monday, 4th October 2004, 10:31

It wasn`t for watching DVDs or anything, just taking photos to friends places etc. which come out fine on the screen. So £50 is as much as I`d want to spend for that kind of thing.

Changing resolutions to 800x600 and changing the monitor type to "Generic Television" @ 60hz gives the best output for a `normal` TV.

Miles

"42"

Jimbo :oÞ (Elite Donator) posted this on Monday, 4th October 2004, 11:34

There`s a little thing called an "Avery Key Lite" about £40 from PCWorld.

Would do fine for what you describe, it has Composit and Component out and connects to an external VGA port and powered from a USB port.

It gives blocky/artifacted graphics on DVD playback, but it isn`t "unwatchable" bad, just wasn`t for me for transferring edited stuff from lappy to E50.

Certainly would be enough for playback of pictures, and is small, light and has no additional requirements for you.

Jimbo : oÞ

KaTz (Elite) posted this on Monday, 4th October 2004, 11:53

Hi
There`s a lead u can get from Maplins
Its a PC to TV cable

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37202&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=4m10

10 metres £24.99
5 metres £19.99
PC to TV Audio/Video Cable
-

• Fully shielded premium cables
• Eliminates all possible interference in audio and video signals 100% nickel plated contacts
• Avoids corrosion on connections
• Easy Grip moulded connectors with strain relief
• Designed for easier handling, simpler connection and protection against cable damage

SOUND AND VIDEO CARD CONNECTIONS The integration between MultiMedia, audio and video applications is progressing. To make full advantage off all possibilities of your equipment.

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37141&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=4m10

They also do a Scart to VGA SyncBlaster Cable

10M SCART-VGA £99.99
5M SCART-VGA £79.98
Scart to VGA £59.99

• Connect RGB scart equipment directly to Plasma and LCD screens/projectors
• Incorporates a full functional sync separator and amplifier
• All essential components built into one neat lead
• No additional power supply needed (for most applications)

Not suitable for monitors designed solely for computer use. (The screen must support a horizontal scan rate of 15.625KHz- most projectors, plasma and LCD panels do whereas CRT monitors dont)

HTH

KaTz
my site

This item was edited on Monday, 4th October 2004, 12:02

Miles (Elite Donator) posted this on Monday, 4th October 2004, 15:56

That`s what I have Jimbo! AverKey Lite! Just jogged my memory on it

"42"

Jimbo :oÞ (Elite Donator) posted this on Monday, 4th October 2004, 17:02

Quote:
That`s what I have Jimbo! AverKey Lite! Just jogged my memory on it

I ended up having mine refunded and changed to the MVP thingy at PCW, but it`s definitely good enough, and simple to connect, for picture showing!

`sactually ok for just "easy" playback on a TV screen too.

Jimbo : oÞ

Jon_C (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 5th October 2004, 08:41

Yeah, the Averkey USB thing was one of the things I tried but the quality was very poor so it went straight back to the shop.

The first item above from Maplin doesn`t have a VGA connection. These are from the item`s FAQ:

"Q: Does this product allow you to connect the 15 pin video out on the graphics card of a PC to the video in on a TV? (11/08/2003 00:00:00)
A: No, this is for a TV-Out on a Graphics Card.

Q: Would this cable connect from the TV out of the graphics card to a TV input? Thanks(22/09/2003 00:00:00)
A: Yes, this is what it is intended for."

So basically it`s a glorified S-video to Scart lead. Cheers.

And the second one doesn`t do what the thread poster requires either:

"Connect RGB scart equipment directly to Plasma and LCD screens/projectors"
and
"Q: can i use this cable?,e.g. monitor output from laptop to my tv or scart input(26/09/2003 00:00:00)
A: This is to use SCART items such as DVD Player, Video Recorder on a Plasma Screen, Projector or Monitor. So it would not be useful for what you intend."

The cable allows you to watch, say, the output from a standalone DVD player/VCR on an LCD monitor that only has a VGA connection.

A question for the techies: is there any good reason why PC`s don`t have Scart/S-video/RCA video outputs as standard? Is it just manufacturers` short-sightedness or a ploy to make us buy monitors as well as TVs?

Go back to PCs & Mobiles Forum threads, or All Forum threads