Latest Forum Posts

Page 1 of Printer recommendations

Hardware Forum

Printer recommendations

Jimbo :oÞ (Elite Donator) posted this on Monday, 2nd January 2012, 16:06

Need to sort out a printer for Mum.
Don`t need anything too fancy, just something she can use to print letters, labels for envelopes etc.
Photo capability would be a bonus but again, not necessity.

So far found the Hewlett Packard 3050 all in one which would add a scanner and not too large a unit for about £30 (costco), with the added bonus that it`s wireless and the carts are easy to refill.

Anything else I should consider or any other recommendations from anyone?

Jimbo : oÞ

"There`s that word again... is there a problem with the Earth`s gravitational pull in the future?"

RE: Printer recommendations

Paull (Elite) posted this on Monday, 2nd January 2012, 16:18

The important thing is to get one that uses copy cartridges.

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Monday, 2nd January 2012, 16:31

Always prefer Epson as the cartridges are cheaper and easier for third party options.
Don`t go too cheap though. I bought the base model about a year ago for my lad and the heads gummed up and refused to clean after warranty.
Comment from the epson service was that you should use it about once a week even if you just print through a test sheet.

Snaps

Every Third Car

I used to be with it, but then they changed what `it` was.
Now, what I`m with isn`t it, and what`s `it` seems weird and scary

Rob Shepherd (Super Admin) posted this on Monday, 2nd January 2012, 16:35

I have little time for third party cartridges when it comes to photographs. But if you want to print letters, etc, then getting one that takes easy to get carts is a plus.

Editor
DVD REVIEWER
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

dave2812 (Competent) posted this on Monday, 2nd January 2012, 17:58

got a samsung ML1915 laser printer monochrome very reasonable and reliable

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Monday, 2nd January 2012, 21:09

Quote:
Rob Shepherd says...
I have little time for third party cartridges when it comes to photographs.
Apart from just general snappy use I`d agree as far as cheap third party goes but you can get photo specific cartridges which will be an improvement on Epson but may not be any cheaper.
If you intend doing any amount of photo printing at all I`d always suggest having two printers.

Snaps

Every Third Car

Rob Shepherd (Super Admin) posted this on Monday, 2nd January 2012, 22:43

Quote:
Snaps says...
but you can get photo specific cartridges which will be an improvement on Epson but may not be any cheaper
Have you ever tested them for colour fade? I`d be interested how they fair there. I`ve tested some in the past that the print quality itself was fine, but just one week in the sun and the third party had faded by about 50% in comparison to the Epson ones that hadn`t faded at all.

Editor
DVD REVIEWER
MYREVIEWER.COM

My Flickr Photostream

Jimbo :oÞ (Elite Donator) posted this on Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 02:46

As I`ve already said, photo printing would only be an occasional bonus and as Mum`s eyesight is failing the extra ink quality really wouldn`t come in to play whatsoever.
The HP model takes 301 carts which are a doddle to refill from the videos and info online (and basically the same as it was on older HP carts years ago) so that`s covered that base.

Dave, I would have preferred to get her a laser as I can refill quite a few models with toner (got a 1510 myself and a diff model for my mechanic mate for the garage, both I can refill them) and the laser prints would be much more resistant for envelopes etc, but the wireless and the low initial cost of this one has me drawn to it, again the scanner capability is a bonus.

Just so it makes it a bit clearer as to why I want/need it, Mum`s eyesight is failing and she`s finding it hard to write due to arthritis, I`ve set her up with a largish-screen laptop and want to get her using it to type and print her letters and envelopes (or labels) to help keep her independence a little.
Due to wireless on the 3050 I can site the printer well away from the laptop so she doesn`t clutter up the area she will be using.
To expand on this further, if anyone knows of a really easy to use word processor (rather than Word/open office etc) then I`d appreciate that too.
Really only needs to be able to change font sizes for printing, doesn`t need to be able to do anything really fancy as it`s only for letters etc as mentioned.

Jimbo : oÞ

"There`s that word again... is there a problem with the Earth`s gravitational pull in the future?"

admars (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 06:40

Snaps (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 3rd January 2012, 11:15

Quote:
Jimbo :oÞ says...
if anyone knows of a really easy to use word processor
Is Wordpad not an option?

Snaps

Every Third Car

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads