Veep Season 3
last post by Rob Shepherd

Page 1 of XBMC Live?

Hardware Forum

XBMC Live?

ste_p0270 (Elite Donator) posted this on Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 08:29

seriously thinking of buying an acer revo (nettop) for christmas with the sole
intention of using it as a media player - i`m not fussed about using it as a pc
because we have 3 laptops in the house already.

i see there`s a Linux variant for £229.99 on ebuyer which has a dual core 1.8Ghz
CPU, 4GB Ram and a 500GB HDD and Nvidia ION2 GPU.

i think this is the one i`ll get - don`t see the point of getting the Win7 variant because
i`ll wipe the HDD anyway.

i`ve been looking at XBMC - Live to be precise and was wondering what you guys
thought of it? videos on t`internet seem to paint a rosy picture of it tbh... is it really
as good as it looks?

i remember using (a variant of) it on my old black xbox, which worked quite well.

Ste
My Flickr Photostream

RE: XBMC Live?

sj (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 16:35

I also have the Revo (R3700) but I got it for a silly price (less than £200) with W7!!  It sits under the TV and is absolutely silent.  The only shame is the optical cable comes out of the front. :-(  WHY?????
Anyway, I boot into Windows (30 secs) and then run xbmc.
It genuinely is absolutely fantastic.  My Video media library just looks superb.  The novelty has worn off a bit now but I used to show people it as soon as they came in - and they were all absolutely amazed at the interface and how it looks - and I still have it on the default skin!!  Even our 6 year old can switch it on and be watching what he wants within a minute.  You don`t need to worry about formats anymore.  I used to have duplicate files (eg an HD vob for the PS3 and an mkv for the media player I have) but now they`re all gone and I don`t need to worry - whether it be a VIDEO_TS folder or an ISO file, an avi, mp4, mpg, vob or mkv - they all just play. :-)
I think I gave a few tips a while back on it (think to 1mills?) but he took it to what you`re looking at and uses Live.   No difference except it boots into it straight away.  You can also install it to a USB drive if you want and have it boot to that - so Linux stays on the HDD and can be used..
I`m waiting for my Harmony One to arrive shortly - (which I`ll need to buy an IR receiver for) so will be delving again to get it working with xbmc too..

The other reason I didn`t go Linux//Live was I didn`t want to buy it and then spend ages trying to get it to work. Easier (for me) to get things like drivers and networking working.. :)  And I didn`t get grief `cos I didn`t need to spend ages `getting it to work`.
Like other things though like iTunes for example, it may reveal lots of limitations/mistakes in your current naming `convention` and you may need to rename stuff..

Go for it, you won`t regret it. :)

Ste

We will pay the price but we will not count the cost..

ste_p0270 (Elite Donator) posted this on Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 17:29

Cheers Ste, comprehensive and useful reply :)

just d/l`d the XBMC-Live ISO to have a look at on my laptop tonight :)

Ste
My Flickr Photostream

ste_p0270 (Elite Donator) posted this on Monday, 31st October 2011, 22:10

righto...

bit the bullet and ordered the Revo with 4GB ram and linux :D

better be good Ste W or i`m a comin` for ya... especially after your team beat
mine the weekend ;)

Ste
My Flickr Photostream

sj (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 06:56

You should have said you were serious, you could have had this one off me.  Just can`t get on with it... ;)

Ste

We will pay the price but we will not count the cost..

ste_p0270 (Elite Donator) posted this on Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 07:02

yeah right. :D

might be picking your brains a bit later mate if that`s ok?

it`s being delivered today, so i`ll have a bash at setting it up tonight.

btw, which media remote would you recommend?

Ste
My Flickr Photostream

1mills (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 08:50

I haven`t been able to set up a remote on my Revo on XBMC live (apparently it`s a lot easier in the Windows XBMC and I have actually got my remote working with that).

From memory just any Windows Media Centre remote will work, you just need one with obviously the infrared dongle.  (Infact I think the Xbox 360 works if you have one?, but you need to buy an infra red dongle, I just got a cheapo media center remote for £7 off ebay just for the dongle.)

Still couldn`t get either to work outside Windows though.

When you set up be very careful with the passwords.  I use relatively fixed passwords and they are needed when you need to go into the Dos type screens to change settings for the remote etc and basically the first time I had to wipe the whole thing as I just could not get it.

Did it again and know which password I used and again it won`t allow me access.  I just quit and use the mouse nowdays 

Superb though set up with my Nas.

Once installed it does everything pretty simply, although I haven`t messed about with different skins.  As a lot of skins don`t work with the mouse

www.last.fm/user/1mills

ste_p0270 (Elite Donator) posted this on Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 09:52

cheers mills.

the revo`s just been delivered to me at work... i`m now itching to get home
and set it up. don`t finish `till 5.30 though :(

the box says linpus linux.... i`m now considering keeping the OS and installing
XBMC as a program rather than as a standalone interface.

i`m not particularily au fait with linux, and can`t see an installer package on
the XBMC website for it? just directs me to a Wiki page with loads of guff.

Ste
My Flickr Photostream

1mills (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 10:41

The linpus linux is rubbish from memory, think it`s what mine had on as I was going to keep with it.

Pretty sure it`s that one anyway, it has big issues connecting to the wireless.

You`d be better off downloading a different version of Linux, sorry can`t remember the names now as I went that route, but then ended up with Windows 7 install and XBMC live as a dual boot.

To be honest after using Windows 7 for ages (as it ended up being temporary main machine), I left it on but since I`ve had the dual boot I haven`t been back into it.  Suppose it`s handy being in the background, but I don`t make much use.

XBMC live only actually has a 6GB partition at the moment, as I keep everything on my NAS anyway.

Oh yeah, just seen posts above, the naming does matter for tv shows.  I had a load missing and then realised it was because generally they should be named eg Lost.s01.e04.

It doesn`t really matter what`s after, but it does rely on that kind of numbering at the beginning which is pretty standard anyway, but you may need to rename some.

www.last.fm/user/1mills

1mills (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 10:46

Also beware.

Linux is like the Old dos style installs.

Any changes and installing stuff all has to be done that way, through line commands, which to be honest is far too much of a pain in the arse for me.

Personally I would go down putting XP or something on if you can get hold of a copy, if you want a normal operating system and then XMBC live as a dual boot either from a different partition or from USB drive (I would lean towards different partition).

It takes about 10seconds to load fully on my dual boot and that`s pretty much because of the option screen that loads and gives the choice to boot windows or not.

www.last.fm/user/1mills

Go back to Hardware Forum threads, or All Forum threads