[VIDEO] Game of Thrones: Season 4
last post by Rob Shepherd
Veep Season 3
last post by Rob Shepherd
The Official WWE/TNA thread
last post by admars
Droning on and on
last post by Snaps

Page 1 of Returning something to Argos without a receipt?

General Forum

Returning something to Argos without a receipt?

Bezzawezza (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 08:16

About 6 months ago I bought some new house phones from Argos which are, frankly, crap. They sometimes don`t ring or one will ring and the other won`t. If they do choose to ring the chances of the person who rang you actually hearing you is about 50/50. I still have the instructions and box but sadly not the receipt. Will Argos accept them back without this? As its over 30 days will they want to repair them rather than replace or refund?

RE: Returning something to Argos without a receipt?

sj (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 08:41

Does the box have their number on (the 7(?) digit one like 742 4565) that may help prove it`s from there?
You don`t legally need a receipt but you need to somehow prove you bought them - bank statement/credit card statement etc..

Ste

We will pay the price but we will not count the cost..

Bezzawezza (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 08:49

The box does have a sticker with a 7 digit number broken down to 3 then 4 numbers. Not sure if its an Argos or manufacturer sticker though tbh

badboybez (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 08:57

I`ve taken some speakers I bought back from them without a receipt - they accepted them back as it still had the Argos reference number sticker thingy on it.

In Madness You Dwell

sj (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 08:59

That`s the Argos number - check online to see if it`s still for sale etc.  They may hopefully be fine - if you want to swap it for another/a different one.  Would think no chance for a refund.

Ste

Bezzawezza (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 09:40

Right I got me a bank statement showing when I bought it plus the box with the argos reference number on. Looks like they don`t sell it any more but I`m going for it! I`m on for an argument I tell thee! Well, after the Formula 1 has finished I am anyway.

sj (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 09:46

Don`t be confrontational - you`ll be fine.  They`re not obliged to refund by the way and could `repair` it.  Being Argos though they usually refund/swap (but maybe credit note with the length of time).  Receipt is irrelevant with your proof of purchase. :)  Trying to do the same at the likes of Currys/Comet and the police would end up there - as I`ve seen a few times...:-/

Ste

Bezzawezza (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 14:38

Well it went far smoother than I expected. Didn`t really look at the proof of purchase (print out of a bank statement). Checked their stock and saw that they didn`t sell it anymore so just said "we will have to give you a refund sorry". :D Got me money and legged it before they changed their mind!

sj (Elite) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 16:51

Great result - how many other places would that happen?....  :)

Ste

Jimbo :oÞ (Elite Donator) posted this on Saturday, 3rd April 2010, 18:11

I had to take back a Sony head unit last week that was faulty, only showed if using the remote control functions or an iPod connected so most people would never have spotted the fault.
Girl was fine about it, checked and there was one left in stock.
"I`ll replace it" says she, I mentioned I had also noticed the price has now dropped on the website by a tenner and there was the £5 voucher thing running. Not overly concerned about the voucher but expecting she`d resell at newer price.

Nope, says same price replacement. I mentioned options were refund or replace in this case (month old) she said yes, refund available, so I said ok... you refund, I repurchase and now I get both voucher AND lower price, as well as a new guarantee and an extra month now...?

She still insisted a replacement would be at full price (£85)

Then asked her manager if I could do that(??!!) Manager  confirmed but *still* didnt say do the way I originally wanted (I know their system, easy to do.. refund of faulty unit now £75, price override to £85, sell new unit £75, don`t price override, hit finish and a £10 refund is generated as it is with most retailers)
Manager and the girl then decided to "just make sure it was a genuine fault and I wasn`t doing it to get the lower price" (remembering I`ve been nothing but pleasant and polite to them until now)

Asked her if she really thought I was going to uninstall the unit from the car, rebox it, go 5 miles out my way to return it to have to reinstall it for a tenner?
She just looked.

End result, made her refund it and told them not to bother with the resale, I`d get something else elsewhere. Wasn`t overly impressed with the sound on it anyway (typical Sony... should`ve known but bought it cos it ended up costing me around £20 in the initial case) and have gone back to my spare JVC unit which sounds miles better. Still need to get an in car charger for an iPhone now though :(

Jimbo : oÞ

"Making Teenagers depressed is like shooting fish inna barrel"

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads