Latest Forum Posts

Page 1 of What disqualifies you from jury duty?

General Forum

What disqualifies you from jury duty?

Chris Gould (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 16:02

I`m most unhappy. The Mrs has told me there`s a jury duty summons waiting at home. As a contractor, I can`t see my current employer being too sympathetic to me taking x amount of time off, not to mention the fact that they pay only a fraction of my earnings. How accomodaing are these people when it comes to people who are essentially self-employed, such as myself? What else can disqualify you? Can I ask for it to be deferred until the end of my current contract (currently December 31st)? Right f***ing pain in the arse.

This item was edited on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 16:03

RE: What disqualifies you from jury duty?

jeffthegun (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 16:21

AFAIK, (same thing happened to my dad a few years ago) you can defer duty or get excused at the descretion of the court if Jury duty will unduly interfere with your job. So it shouldnt be a problem.

Either that or get a job in a protected profession or go out and commit a crime. I would recommend bank fraud :)

All glory to the hypnotoad
What im listening to (if youre interested)

xfg (Elite Donator) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 16:24

Say you`re a Christian and you do not feel morally able to sit in judgement of others.

Or say you don`t believe in the presumption of innocence and "They wouldn`t get arrested for nowt innit.".

--

www.soundalikes.com/

bethyblue (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 16:35

From the official website - FAQS and also look at point 11 here. It looks like you could at least be able to get it deferred.

*Edit* that second link doesn`t work :/ Go here and click "Guidance for summoning officers"

This item was edited on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 16:38

sput2001 (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 16:48

Quote:
It looks like you could at least be able to get it deferred.

A guy I work with has just has his THIRD summons, i.e. he`s already done jury service twice and he`s been picked again.

It`s reasonably easy to get it deferred if you`ve got reasonable grounds, but getting out of it altogether is much harder - you`ll almost definitely have to do it at some stage. My brother in law was selected just when he was meant to be doing his final exams for his degree. He got it deferred no problem.

This item was edited on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 16:51

Chris Gould (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 18:59

Cheers all. I wouldn`t mind (as much) if it was say, January time, cause then I`ll be out of contract and so won`t be losing money. Trouble is with all the time off contractors have, you have to make the most of the time that you are in work. Don`t really fancy it with my back anyway, I can barely sit down for an hour let alone four or more...

chewie (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 21:01

Quote:
Don`t really fancy it with my back anyway, I can barely sit down for an hour let alone four or more...

Sounds serious, you should get Dr 42% to write you a note and you`ll be allowed to skip it ;)

My DVD Collection

bandicoot (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 21:49

Years ago they sent a policeman round if you do not reply, but many courts now send out far more letters than is required, as people do not reply

You do get people who are desperate to attend as a jurrer, so it tend to work out.

I am in the same boat as you as a self-employed person and would really lose out financially, I asked one of my mates whos a policeman, and he said they hardly have time now due to undermaning to chase up people who do not wish to attend dury duty.

Your best method of not being picked for jury duty (too late for you though), is not to be on the voters role.

Mark Oates (Reviewer) posted this on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 22:58

Crazy, in prison or over seventy. Take your choice :D

J Mark Oates

Do Not Be Afraid. That Noise Is Merely The Sound Of My Mind Boggling.

This item was edited on Wednesday, 21st September 2005, 22:59

Rassilon (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 22nd September 2005, 00:02

Serving on a Jury in the last 5 years.

I quite like the Helpdesk people in a benevolent (as opposed to malevolent) way as they do some valuable work in preventing us being inundated by every halfwit who can work a phone.

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads